Jackson Dog Bites Lawyer
When it comes to household pets, dogs are the overwhelming choice for many Americans. Canines bring joy, provide a reason to exercise, and shower owners with unconditional love, truly living up to their nickname as our best friends. However, being animals, there are some that can become aggressive and bite. The National Canine Research Council reports that around 4.5 million individuals are bitten by dogs every year, and approximately 800,000 of these victims require medical care. Dog bite injuries can be extremely painful and, unfortunately, children are disproportionately affected.
Though there is no statute covering these tragic incidents, Mississippi personal injury laws offer options for victims of dog bites. You may be entitled to monetary damages for your losses, and our team at Keith B. French Law will handle the essential legal tasks. Please contact our office today to schedule a free case evaluation with a Jackson dog bites lawyer. Some basic information may also help you understand your rights.
Liability for Dog Bites and Animal Attacks in Mississippi
There are multiple theories of liability that may pertain to your situation:
- A dog’s owner is responsible for taking reasonable precautions to secure the animal and protect others from harm. You may have a claim for negligence where the individual breached this duty of care.
- There may be a case of negligence per se, in which the dog’s owner broke a law that resulted in the animal attacking. An example is violating leash laws.
- Scienter, a legal term that means knowledge, is the theory that most people associate with the “one bite” rule. Liability applies when the dog’s owner knows of its dangerous propensities because of a prior bite or attack.
Keep in mind that your rights in a Mississippi dog bite case may be defeated if you were trespassing on private property or provoked the animal.
Legal Help with Mississippi Dog Bite Claims
These incidents are unique in how they affect victims, as many will suffer significant scarring and require extensive surgery to repair the jagged injuries caused by the dog’s teeth. These injuries also become infected quite often, and the experience can lead to debilitating psychological harm.
Because of these extreme implications, it is critical to exercise your legal rights after an animal attack. Our Jackson dog bites attorney at Keith B. French Law will take care of essential tasks, including filing an insurance claim and representing you in court. We will seek compensation for:
- Medical costs for surgery, hospitalization, and psychiatric care;
- Lost wages and earning capacity;
- Pain and suffering;
- Scarring and disfigurement;
- Emotional distress;
- Diminished quality of life; and
- Many other losses.
Set Up a Free Consultation with a Jackson Dog Bites Lawyer
This summary of Mississippi dog bite laws is helpful, but it is smart to rely on our team at Keith B. French Law when it comes to tackling challenges. To learn more about your rights, please call 832-243-6153 or visit us online to set up a no-cost consultation at our offices in Jackson, MS.